Connect with us

Sports

The third season of the Saudi Women's League kicks off tomorrow

The new season of the Saudi Women's Premier League 2024-2025 kicks off tomorrow (Friday) with the participation of 10 teams: Al-Nassr, Al-Ahli,

Published

on

The new season of the Saudi Women's Premier League 2024-2025 kicks off tomorrow (Friday) with the participation of 10 teams: Al-Nasr, Al-Ahli, Al-Shabab, Al-Qadisiyah, Al-Hilal, Al-Ittihad, Sho'la Al-Sharqiyah, Al-Ula, Al-Amal, and Al-Taraji. The competition will be played in a two-round league format, with 90 matches over 18 rounds.

The first round of the season will open tomorrow (Friday) with 3 matches, including Al-Taraji against Al-Shabab at Prince Nayef bin Abdulaziz Sports City Stadium in Qatif, while the defending champion Al-Nasr will begin its title defense campaign when it hosts Al-Ula at Al-Nasr Club Stadium in Riyadh, and the day’s matches will be completed when Al-Amal hosts Al-Ahli at King Fahd Sports City Stadium in Taif.

The round concludes on Saturday with a match between Al-Hilal and Shola Al-Sharqiya at the College of Medical Care Stadium in Riyadh, while Al-Qadisiyah will be hosted by Al-Ittihad at Al-Ittihad Club Stadium in Jeddah.

The third season of the Saudi Women’s Premier League will see the participation of more than 200 players from more than 20 nationalities, as the participating clubs have concluded more than 15 new international transfer deals. This great diversity of players will raise the level of competitiveness for the new season, and the arrival of many international talents to the league reflects the development that women’s football in the Kingdom has witnessed and its growth in a record period.

For his part, the President of the Saudi Arabian Football Federation, Yasser bin Hassan Al-Mishal, said: “We look forward to the launch of the third season of the Saudi Women’s Premier League, as the previous two seasons witnessed great success at all levels, and we aspire for this season to be a distinguished nucleus for the national teams in all categories.”.

Al-Musahal praised the remarkable development of women’s clubs, saying: “During the past seasons, we built a foundation of work to develop the work of the clubs, and we began to reap the fruits of this work during the recent period. We aspire to further development during the coming period, and we wish all clubs success during the competitions of the new season.”.

For her part, Alia Al-Rashid, Director of Women’s Football at the Saudi Arabian Football Federation, said: “The Saudi Women’s Premier League has achieved many accomplishments in just two seasons, thanks to the unlimited support of our wise leadership and the great efforts of the Ministry of Sports and the Saudi Arabian Football Federation. The league has been able to attract international players from more than 20 different nationalities to participate in its competitions, and this rapid growth confirms the Kingdom’s seriousness in developing women’s football.”.

It is worth noting that the Saudi Arabian Football Federation launched last week the marketing campaign for the new season of the Saudi Women’s Premier League under the title “Check out our league,” which encourages fans to attend matches, watch the best players, and support their clubs in the stadiums, to promote the rapid growth of women’s football in the Kingdom.

The figures show the extent of growth in women’s football in the Kingdom, with the number of players participating in the school league reaching about 77,000 players, reflecting the Kingdom’s ambitions to build a new sporting legacy and expand investment in the future of women’s sports.

The Saudi News Network first launched on Twitter via its official account, @SaudiNews50, and quickly became one of the Kingdom's leading independent news sources, thanks to its fast and reliable coverage of major local and international events. Due to the growing trust of its followers, the network expanded by launching its website, a comprehensive news platform offering regularly updated content in the fields of politics, economics, health, education, and national events, presented in a professional style that meets the public's expectations. The network strives to enhance public awareness and provide accurate information in a timely manner through on-the-ground reporting, in-depth analysis, and a specialized editorial team, making it a trusted source for anyone seeking up-to-the-minute Saudi news.

Continue Reading

Sports

Vinicius attacks racism after Benfica clash: The full story

Details of Vinicius Junior's crisis in the Real Madrid vs. Benfica match, his accusation of racism against Prestini, and statements by Mourinho and Mbappe about the incident and the match being stopped.

Published

on

Vinicius Junior

European football stadiums experienced another stormy night with the theme of “racism”, as Brazilian star Vinicius Junior launched a scathing attack on those he described as “cowards”, after accusing Benfica player, Gianluca Brestiani, of directing racist insults at him during the match between Real Madrid and their Portuguese hosts in the first leg of the Champions League round of 16 play-off.

Details of the incident and the match being stopped

The match, which ended in a 1-0 victory for Real Madrid thanks to a goal by Vinicius himself, was interrupted for more than ten minutes, a first in UEFA's strict implementation of its anti-racism protocol. The incident began when Vinicius approached French referee François Letixsier, complaining that he had been subjected to a racist slur (mono – meaning monkey in Spanish) by Argentine player Prestiani, who had covered Vinicius's mouth with his shirt during the altercation.

Following the match, Vinicius erupted in anger on his Instagram account, saying: “Racists are, above all, cowards. They need to cover their mouths with their shirts to show how weak they are.” He added, criticizing the leniency of the punishments: “But they enjoy the protection of others who are supposed to be responsible for imposing punishment,” emphasizing that what happened should never be tolerated.

A history of conflict with racism

This incident is not an isolated event in the Brazilian star's career, but rather the latest chapter in a long series of abuses he has suffered. The historical context of Vinicius's ordeal stretches back several seasons, most notably the infamous incident at the Mestalla stadium against Valencia in May 2023, which sparked widespread international condemnation. Furthermore, Spanish courts previously handed down suspended prison sentences to Atlético Madrid fans who hung an effigy of the player in an act classified as a hate crime. These accumulated experiences have made Vinicius a global icon in the fight against racism in sports, lending significant weight to his statements and reactions.

Reactions: Between denial and absolute support

In response, Gianluca Prestiani categorically denied the accusations, claiming that Vinicius had misunderstood what he heard. He stated on social media, "I have never been racist, and I apologize for the threats I have received." His club, Benfica, and his coach, José Mourinho, supported him. Mourinho criticized Vinicius's goal celebration in front of the opposing fans, deeming it provocative, and commented, "Something is wrong, because in every stadium Vinicius plays, something always happens.".

On the other side, Real Madrid players rallied behind their teammate. Trent Alexander-Arnold described the incident as "disgusting" and a disgrace to football. Kylian Mbappé called for strict measures, saying, "This player doesn't deserve to play in the Champions League again." Captain Federico Valverde cleverly pointed to the gesture of covering the mouth, interpreting it as evidence of saying something shameful that cannot be uttered aloud.

Expected impact and future of sanctions

This incident is particularly significant given that it occurred in the world's biggest club competition, placing UEFA under immense pressure to take concrete action beyond financial penalties. The recurrence of such incidents threatens the image of European football and negatively impacts the mental health of players, potentially leading to stricter sporting regulations in the near future, including point deductions or exclusion from tournaments, to ensure a clean and hate-free sporting environment.

Continue Reading

Sports

Hassan Kadash's stance on the Al-Hilal match... Updates on the injury of the Al-Ittihad star

Find out Hassan Kadash's status for Al-Hilal's upcoming match after his injury against Al-Sadd. Sources reveal the Al-Ittihad defender's readiness for the Saudi Clasico and coach Conceição's plans for the encounter.

Published

on

Hassan Kadash, Al-Ittihad player

Al-Ittihad fans endured hours of intense anticipation and anxiety, awaiting news on the fate of international defender Hassan Kadash and his availability for the crucial upcoming match against arch-rivals Al-Hilal. These legitimate concerns arose after the "Dean's" defensive stalwart suffered a worrying injury during his participation in the team's recent match against Al-Sadd of Qatar, which took place at Jassim Bin Hamad Stadium as part of the eighth round of the AFC Champions League.

Details of Hassan Kadash's injury and his status for El Clásico

In a positive development that has reassured fans, sources close to the club revealed to Al-Midan Al-Riyadi the final medical diagnosis of the player's injury. Reports confirmed that Hassan Kadash suffered only a minor bruise that is not a cause for concern, and that he has successfully recovered. Consequently, the player is now fully fit, both physically and technically, to start in Al-Hilal's upcoming match , making him a valuable asset for the coaching staff in this crucial encounter.

The importance of Kadesh in Conceição's tactics

Kadesh's presence is a cornerstone of Portuguese coach Sergio Conceição's , as he relies heavily on him to control the back line. The player's importance is amplified by his successful defensive partnership with professional Danilo Pereira; the coach depends on this duo to secure the defensive depth and counter Al-Hilal's formidable attacking arsenal. Therefore, Kadesh's availability is welcome news, boosting the team's chances of keeping a clean sheet or minimizing the threat on their goal.

A morale boost after Al Sadd's four goals

Al-Ittihad enters the derby with sky-high morale, drawing strength from their resounding continental victory over Qatar's Al-Sadd by a score of 4-1. This win was more than just three points in the AFC Champions League; it was a powerful message to their rivals, confirming that the "Tigers" have regained their prestige and attacking prowess, something the team aims to capitalize on both tactically and psychologically when they face Al-Hilal.

The Saudi Clasico: A battle that transcends points

The Al-Ittihad vs. Al-Hilal match carries strategic and historical significance that transcends the mere three points; it is the "Saudi Arabian football classic," attracting a massive following across the Arab and Asian football scenes. The match comes at a crucial juncture in the season, with each side striving to assert its dominance and prove its worthiness to compete for domestic titles. Therefore, the return of key players like Hassan Kadash is a decisive factor in the balance of power, bolstering the aspirations of Al-Ittihad fans to see their team deliver a performance worthy of its illustrious history and achieve a positive result that breaks any recent dominance of their rivals.

Continue Reading

Sports

Houssem Aouar comments on Benzema's move to Al-Hilal before the Clasico

Al-Ittihad star Houssem Aouar commented on Karim Benzema's move to Al-Hilal, stressing his team's readiness to fight in the Clasico after the big win against Al-Sadd of Qatar in the AFC Champions League.

Published

on

Houssem Aouar and Karim Benzema

In important statements ahead of the anticipated Clasico, Algerian star Houssem Aouar , midfielder for Al-Ittihad, commented on the event that has recently preoccupied the Saudi sports scene, namely the departure of French star Karim Benzema from Al-Ittihad and his move to their traditional rival, Al-Hilal, during the last winter transfer window.

Aouar's statements to the media and the league's official broadcaster came after the team's heroic performance against Al Sadd of Qatar, putting an end to rumors about the Al Ittihad dressing room being affected by the departure of their former captain. Speaking with a confident and highly professional tone, Aouar said: "What happened is normal in the world of football; transfers are part of the game. Karim Benzema is a fantastic player and has given a lot, but we are here to fight, and I say this to everyone: we will fight until the end wearing the Al Ittihad jersey.".

Al-Ittihad overcomes the transfer shock and focuses on the field

These statements come at a highly sensitive time, as Al-Ittihad prepares to face Al-Hilal in the 23rd round of the Saudi Professional League . This match takes on added significance as it is the first encounter between the two teams since Benzema's transfer to the other side, adding an unprecedented level of excitement and competitiveness to the "Saudi Clasico."

Awar stressed that the team's focus is entirely on the pitch, adding: “Our team is progressing steadily and thoughtfully. We are taking the season one step at a time, and we will take it one game at a time to continue our success in local and continental competitions. Our main goal is to continue our success in all available tournaments and to bring joy to the loyal Al-Ittihad fans who deserve to be happy.”.

Asian morale boost ahead of the local derby

Al-Ittihad enters the match against Al-Hilal with very high morale, drawing strength from their recent resounding victory over Qatari club Al-Sadd. The Tigers managed to dismantle the Qatari team's defense with four goals to one in the eighth round of the AFC Champions League .

This resounding victory wasn't just about securing three Asian points; it was a powerful message to rivals both domestically and continentally, demonstrating that Al-Ittihad is strong regardless of who is playing, and that the team's collective strength is capable of compensating for the departure of any star player, no matter how important. The coach and fans are counting on Houssem Aouar and his teammates to replicate this strong performance against Al-Hilal to close the gap and seriously contend for the league title.

It is worth noting that the transfer of players of Karim Benzema’s caliber between top clubs in the Saudi League reflects the tremendous development that sports are witnessing in the Kingdom, and the strength of the competitiveness that has become the focus of the world’s attention. However, the real response is always on the field, which is what Aouar promised the Al-Ittihad fans.

Continue Reading

Trending News